Thursday, February 2, 2012

3,2,1...Blastoff!

 ~Brian Littrell

A very appropriate quote for all you crazy dreamers. But I chose the quote for an additional reason. Its reference to the moon. 

I have an obsession with the moon. In fact it might be fair to say I'm as obsessed with writing about the moon as I am with writing about boys. Okay, maybe not that much. But I love to describe it, personify it. Come up with new metaphors and rhyme it, alliterate it. It's sprinkled throughout my writings like a "Where's Waldo?" book. 

"Moonlight through my window..."

"The moon is dressed in her evening gown, vibrant blend of orange and pink, a ladybug against a green leaf."
"Its trunk was sturdy and dependable, so you could climb to the moon if you so desired and pluck it like the fattest grapefruit and still, it would not sway."
This week was the perfect week for moons. All week the moon lay on its side, smiling down on all the shooting star wishers. And as the week progressed, its smile got bigger and bigger. Welcoming us to hop on our rocket ships and blast off!


Sunday night was what's been called a Cheshire Cat moon, like from Alice and Wonderland.
Most people find the full moon to be their favorite, but my loyalty lies with the cat. A mischievous crescent grin floating freely in the sky.
Monday night the grin widened to a banana. Ripe and yellow. Perfect for picking.
Tuesday night was disorienting. How is it some nights, the moon seems so close? Magnified by a thousand. The nights i
f my arms were only a bit longer, I could scoop it up in my hand. Then other nights (like Tuesday), the moon seems so far away? Like looking through the wrong end of a magnifying glass.

It's nights like Tuesday I question if the moon is too big of a reach.


Wednesday night was an orange-slice grin. Foolishly big and bright and childish but undeniably happy. They remind me of the days when I only used to eat my orange cut into wedges so I could fit the entire rind in my mouth, taste the sweet fruit, and grin a big, happy grin as the juice dripped down my chin.
Thursday (tonight) the moon hides somewhere behind the clouds. Instead, my Thursday night sky is lit by the toothy grins of a blue-eyed toddler. We're babysitting my little cousin this weekend, and her bubbly personality is infectious!


So shoot for the moon, even on the nights it seems far away. Especially on the nights it seems far away.
Because even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. And if the moon's smiling down at you, don't even wait for the countdown.


Sweet Dreams,


Megan ;)


P.S. Thanks to those of you who responded to the "Did you notice?" challenge last week! I loved reading about the moments that caught your attention. I've updated the page with my findings for the week. If you have time, I'd love to read about what your senses picked up this week, too!

No comments: