Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Resolutions


Happy New Years, everyone! There's something refreshing about today. The thought that tonight at midnight, I can leave whatever baggage I picked up during 2011 behind. As soon as the ball drops in Times Square, NYC tonight, I will be reborn. Every year on the 31st of December, we are given an opportunity to redefine ourselves. A new year brings new beginnings, so the saying goes. So now, with the final hours of 2011 ticking away, is a perfect time to reflect on 2011 and make plans for 2012.

New Year's resolutions are very popular in our society. They can range from broad goals like studying harder and running more, to specific ones like losing a set number of pounds and trying a new sport. Goals give me a sense of purpose, something to work towards.  I am the type of person who's always making goals, even in something as small as making a To-Do list for a busy weekend. There's something satisfying about crossing something off a list, checking off a box.

I find my biggest challenge is in actually following through with these goals. In the hustle-bustle of everyday life, sometimes they get swept aside and then will blow back into our paths periodically throughout the year. Something my cousin told me about several years ago was to take something that will remind you of your goal--a picture, quote, whatever it may be--and hang it somewhere you look every day--above your bed, on your mirror, wherever is most visible. This way, when you wake up every morning, you're reminded of what you want.

It's hard to imagine 2011 is already fading away, another year come and gone. In saying goodbye to 2011, it is also the time to abandon any negative energies or feelings of regret. For 2012, my main goal is to live every moment for the moment, in the moment. There's so much promise with a new year. Tonight is the night to set the stage for what you want the new year to bring. And of course, 2012 is the perfect opportunity to tackle those crazy dreams. Wishing you joy and inspiration in the new year.

xo Megan

2 comments:

Brook said...

Meg,
I loved reading your message about the new year- I agree that it is such a revitalizing time because the slate is so clean. This year and last year I have written twelve resolutions- one for each month. In years past I always felt that by the end of the year my resolutions were forgotten about and/or amorphous to me. A friend of mine suggested the 12 goals to me last year and it really worked. It was nice to work on something new each month instead of the same task(s) all year long. If you're looking to ever "shake it up" I highly recommend it!
I hope we can catch up soon.
Happy resolutions and 2012,
Mrs. D

Megan said...

So good to hear from you Mrs. Doire! That's a really cool idea your friend gave you. So much can happen in a year that it can be easy to forget our goals. The ILP conferences have definitely taught me to track my goals more carefully. I love having goals because they remind me I'm not perfect, and that there is always something to work towards and improve upon. I hope all is well with you and the family and yes, I hope to chat soon!
~Meg :)