Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Like a Snowflake


"Every time you get on that stage, you dance your heart out. Because you will never dance the same exact dance on the same exact stage with the same exact people ever again," my friend's mom said. Every moment is like a snowflake; no two are alike. 

Home from school today on a snowy afternoon. Smoothies this morning, with a ginger zing. Bread rises on the stovetop; it takes a long inhale and exhales at the slightest touch. Grandma's homemade soup keeps me warm as I'm curled up on the couch in my baggy sweats. We went outside to help my grandfather shovel this morning, and we made a snowman and a snow dog (a tribute to our dog Mocha). Our cheeks were rosy and our throats cold and it made our house seem so much warmer. I love snowbound days when I am forced to stay home. It makes me notice the things in my own environment that I forget otherwise. There's so many places I want to travel and explore, but I forget what's right outside my door. I need to know my own home before I know anywhere else. Before I know anything else, I need to know myself.

1 comment:

Gigi Thibodeau said...

I love your snowman and snow pup, Megan! I think you're 100% right about snow days and how good they can be for touching base with what's important. I love all your descriptions of the sights and smells of your day, especially that wonderful image of the bread rising! Yum. Hope all's well with you! xoxo Gigi