Thursday, March 8, 2012

What I've Noticed

http://intensepizza.deviantart.com/art/Spring-wallpaper-159943570
Sometimes, either when I'm feeling especially inspired or particularly uninspired (especially inspired today), I like to go back and read through my weekly noticings (and as I'm typing, SpellCheck once again has brought to my attention my tendency to make up words). As I was scrolling through my reflections, I noticed that each week, they tend to have a common theme. The week of Valentine's day was filled with heart-shaped pancakes and perfect curls and a cupcake so sweet I have to close my eyes to enjoy it. Last week with the snowstorm made for noticing all things warm and comforting: an almond's crunch in my oatmeal, hot soup on my tongue, ginger tea tingling my nose. It's fun reading back on them, because it brings me back to those weeks as I remember where I was at, how I was feeling, why I noticed the things I noticed. Some weeks my eyes are strong, but other weeks they are blinded by the overpowering excitement of my nose or ears.

It's ironic considering last week was all about winter, but this week my reflections have a warmth about them: a pep, a an extra zing, for this morning I was woken not by my harsh and demanding alarm, but by the excited and welcoming call of birds. "Chop, chop, chop!" they chirp. "The time for rest is over, spring is here!"It's a little early for spring, but who says we can't celebrate early? I jump out of bed to get a closer view and see the snow has melted and with it the clouds, and just by the relaxed sway of the magnolia tree I can tell it is a warm breeze. "Hello! Hello!" the birds chatter. "Did you have a nice rest?" They greet old friends and open their beaks and sound more like frogs at first, croaking out the first notes until they finally warm up. Can you blame me for wanting to sing along?

Part of me feels guilty for posting about something so cliché, so unoriginal, something that anyone can notice and you can probably find reflections about anywhere but then I got to thinking: there's a reason why a subject like such has become cliché. It has been so long since I've heard voices in the morning. Winter mornings, while I love them so when I'm cozy on the couch with a good book, can be so lonely. But spring mornings are alive and the birds are hungry, and it won't be long now before Mama Robin comes hopping along playing Whack-A-Mole as she gathers worms for her babies. And winter, please forgive me for picking on you, for you bring your own inspirations to write about, but with the flowers so much more blooms! Everything's alive and jumping to be the subject of poems and paintings and photographs because they are in their prime. In the winter flowers hide their faces and shrink away from our eyes. Everything sleeps, for winter is the time for rest and recuperation, but spring comes along and it's "Chop, chop, chop! So much to do!" So with that in mind, I rolled up my jeans, picked out my brightest tank-top to go with my cardigan, and hummed along with the birds as I prepared for the day.

With spring just around the corner, there's so much to notice. I encourage you to take this time to take a walk, go for a run, read outside, whatever it may be you love to do, do it outside! And if you get the chance, let me know what you find! I've loved reading the comments about what you've been noticing every week.

Sweet (Almost-Spring) Dreams,

Megan ;)

No comments: