Monday, March 18, 2013

Did you hear the people sing?



We did it. We put on "Les Misérables." "Les Mis"...the musical legend that has swept away the hearts of 56 million people in 45,000 performances worldwide since its 1985 premier...45,000 performances worldwide...42 countries...308 cities...21 different languages...the timeless tale of redemption, forgiveness, love, compassion, humanity, and self-sacrifice.


Our low-budget, lecture hall auditorium, small charter school did it. Some people may have doubted us, but this weekend, people from miles around heard the people sing...four sold-out shows worth.

The last few weeks I have been completely immersed in what I love most: theatre. With that, I have been with some of my favorite people. It was no exaggeration when people joked that we have seen each other more in the last few weeks than we've seen our family.

Today before the last show, a lot of the cast and crew spoke about what the drama program has meant to them. It was touching to see how much drama has helped so many people. Personally, it has helped me come out of my shell and be more confident. I am truly myself when I am around everyone in the drama program. This cast particularly was the most supportive and loving casts I have ever been in. Everyone threw their heart and soul into the performance. During the "Epilogue" today, I struggled to keep my composure through the last notes, as it finally hit me that it was the last time I would ever sing this song with this same group of people. Then the lights went out as we ran up the aisles for our bows, and I cried. I cried as I watched everyone going up for their moment of glory; all of these goofballs, so mature, so poised, so grown-up. They make me so proud.

This is not to say we didn't have our fair share of drama. But none of it mattered this weekend. We've been through so much together, the good and the bad, and that is what ultimately brings us closer together. Ms. Wiz taught me to be more confident. "Les Mis" taught me to just enjoy the moment. I feel so blessed to have found theatre. I feel so blessed to have been a part of "Les Mis."

Jean Valjean, I am glad you stole that loaf of bread to save your sister's son.

No comments: